The High Street Road Uniting Church, a member church of the Presbytery of
Port Phillip East, is situated in Mount Waverley, at Melway
Ref.61 G12, some 20km from the Melbourne Central Business District. It is
located in a residential area at the top of a hill on a major road. The
church has only one preaching place but offers two morning services and one
evening service each Sunday. There is also a second property, in Larch
Crescent, Syndal (Melway Ref.61 J11) where the
church offers support for residents of a retirement village of 31 units. This
is now the Yernga campus of the Strathdon
Community. There are four en-tous-cas tennis courts
on the property used by the Church Tennis Club.
The High Street Road Uniting Church was formed in 1974, three and a half years
before Union, from the High Street Road Methodist Church, whose property is
now used for worship, and the Syndal Presbyterian Church, whose property has
been converted to the retirement village, Yernga.. Yernga is located in Larch Crescent, Syndal (Melway Ref.61 J11) and has 31 units,
it is now the Yernga campus of the Strathdon Community. Our church continues to offer
support for residents at Yernga. There are four en-tous-cas tennis courts on the Larch Crescent property
which are used by the Church Tennis Club. Although the Methodist Church was
established in 1887 many of the members of the present congregation arrived
during the 1950's and 60's as a result of subdivisions of extensive market
gardens. For many years there was little movement of people into or out of
the area and the average age of church members continues to grow. In recent
times, however, particularly since the subdivision of Government school
properties, young families have begun moving into the area and present a new
challenge and opportunity for the Church.
High Street Road Uniting Church as a member Parish of The Uniting Church
in Australia is a church within the Evangelical and Reformed traditions
confessing Jesus Christ as Lord and existing to worship Christ and bear
witness to His kingdom in the world. The church seeks to maintain a creative
tension between evangelical zeal, concern for the underprivileged and the
nurture of the whole person.
Our Church membership is 250 in 2013.
Our current Ministry team includes the following Minsiters
of the Word:
Rev Julie Ross, full time, appointed January 2009.
Rev Scott Finlay, part time, appointed July 2013
Rev Graeme Warne, Minister in Association.
Rev Bill Perry, Minister in Association.
Recent past Ministers were:
Rev Graeme Warne, Oct 2007-Jan 2009, Jul 2005 - Dec 2006
Rev Bill Perry, Jan 2007-Oct 2007, Oct 2003 - Jul 2005
Rev Ojitha Goonetilleke,
Feb 1999 - Mar 2007
Rev Scott Finlay, July 2013 – July 2017
A major refurbishment of the buildings was completed early in 1999.